At the Talisayan Elementary School in Zamboanga City, Teacher Lorna Pulalon defended her students from a deranged ex-convict who went on a stabbing spree, an act that cost her her life.
Philippine Air Force bomb expert Jesus Fabian improvised disruptor kits that can disarm thin-walled explosive devices with minimal detonation risk. His innovations not only saved lives but also P3.8 million in public funds that could have gone to foreign manufacturers.
Despite threats to her and her family’s life, state auditor Helen Cailing of Commission on Audit-Cotabato City exposed massive malversation of government funds in Sarangani that led to the dismissal of more than 30 public officials.
To help rice farmers depending on rainfall for water, the Aerobic Rice Research, Development and Extension Team of Bulacan Agricultural State College promoted the use of aerobic rice technology. Because the technology requires less water, farmers in non-irrigable and upland areas enjoy continuous yield even during dry season.
These are some of this year’s Outstanding Public Officials and Employees who were awarded today, November 9, at the Malacañan Palace. Executive Secretary Paquito N. Ochoa, representing President Benigno S. Aquino III, led the awards rites assisted by Civil Service Commission (CSC) Chair Francisco T. Duque III.
The CSC conducts the awards rites annually as part of the Honor Awards Program (HAP) that aims to motivate and inspire civil servants to improve the quality of their performance and instill deeper involvement in public service.
The CSC chief said that it is important to pay tribute to exemplary state workers in order to compensate their hard work, boost their morale and allow them to be an inspiration to other government employees.
“They represent thousands of men and women in government who are fueled by an inherent desire to serve their fellowmen. They go beyond the call of duty despite the challenges of public service such as low remuneration, lack of resources and public distrust. In the CSC, we call them lingkod bayani – mga lingkod bayang bayani,” Duque said.
Three types of awards were given. The Presidential Lingkod Bayan Award is conferred on an individual or group for exceptional contributions resulting from an idea or performance that had nationwide impact on public interest.
Joining Fabian in the Lingkod Bayan category are:
- § Arlene Arcillas (City Government of [CGO] Sta. Rosa, Laguna);
- § Lucia Buaquiña (Provincial Government of [PGO] Misamis Occidental);
- § Jeorge Ejercito Estregan (PGO Laguna);
- § Janeth Fuentes (Philippine Science High School Eastern Visayas Campus, Leyte);
- § Joselito Kakilala (Philippine Army 10th Infantry Division, General Santos City);
- § Violeta Salda (Benguet State University, Benguet);
- § Bukidnon Housing Team (PGO Bukidnon);
- § Metro La Union Water District Special Audit Team (Commission on Audit [COA] Regional Office No. 1, La Union); and
- § Solid Waste Management Team (CGO San Carlos, Negros Occidental).
They received P200,000 cash prize, a gold gilded medallion, a plaque with citation and signature of the President, automatic promotion to the next higher position or salary increase equivalent to the next higher position, local scholarship and other incentives.
The Dangal ng Bayan Award is given to an individual for performance of extraordinary act or public service and consistent demonstration of exemplary ethical behavior on the basis of observance of the norms of conduct provided under Republic Act No. 6713, or the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees.
Aside from Pulalon and Cailing, other Dangal ng Bayan awardees are:
- § Lucille Abad (Philippine Nuclear Research Institute, Quezon City);
- § Edgardo Chatto (PGO Bohol);
- § Jelyn Duting (Banate Post Office, Iloilo City);
- § Joey Fernandez (CGO San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan);
- § Eleanor Javonillo (CGO Antipolo, Rizal);
- § Edgar Madlaing (Benguet National High School Daklan Annex, Benguet);
- § Elpidio Malinao, posthumous (University of the Philippines Los Baños [UPLB], Laguna); and
- § Ramon Piang Sr. (Municipal Government of Upi, Maguindanao).
The Dangal ng Bayan awardees received P200,000 cash prize, a trophy designed by National Artist for Sculpture Napoleon Abueva, automatic promotion to the next higher position or salary increase equivalent to the next higher position, local scholarship and other incentives.
The Pagasa Award is granted to an individual or group for outstanding contributions that directly benefit more than one department of government on a certain degree of standards.
The Aerobic Rice Team received the Pagasa Award along with:
- § Bayle Baguioan (UPLB, Laguna);
- § Dionisio Cagampang (Department of Agriculture [DA] Field Office No. 10, Cagayan de Oro City);
- § Aileen Cuevas (Department of Social Welfare and Development Field Office No. 7, Cebu City);
- § Ma. Annie Espinosa (Quezon District Jail, Lucena City);
- § Jose Renan Suarez (Philippine Navy, Cavite City);
- § Dumalag Rural Health Unit (Dumalag, Capiz);
- § Northern Mindanao Integrated Agricultural Research Center (DA Regional Office No. 10, Cagayan de Oro City);
- § Philippine Textile Research Institute (Department of Science and Technology, Taguig City); and
- § Provincial Health Office Dental Team (PGO Abra).
They received P100,000 cash prize, a plaque with citation & signature of the CSC chairperson, a gold gilded medallion and other incentives.